Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

News and Adventures!!!

Recently I found out that I was diabetic.  Sucks I know, but not life threatening.  Well not for me.  It made me sad because I had started eating better and exercising to avoid this, I guess I just didn't do it soon enough.  Who knows, I have family history of it anyway, so maybe it was unavoidable no matter what I did.  So who knows.   It's nothing to be depressed about, you just well I just have to adapt to a new life style!  So this blog will now be my adventures of finding ways to make my favorite foods, with less everything, fat, calories, SUGAR, carbs... you name it! 

I found out November 30th, ummmm for those who don't know that's the day before my birthday!!!!  So not a very nice birthday present, but now I know what I have to do to have many more birthdays!!!  After my 3 day freak out, I started researching.  Now I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be, I am just trying to figure out what works for me and sharing it in hopes that it may work for you or help you find a way to help yourself! 

So it's the holiday season and I have to say that one of my favorite things to make is Chex Mix.  Well hello carbs and sugar.  LOL  So I set out to find out how to make it better for me.  I will share my recipe in a moment.  Did you know that there are so many things out there that are fat free, gluten free, suagr free, no sugar added, no this no that..... I never realized exactly how much stuff was out there!!! 

There are so many websites out there to help also.  If you google diabetes, or diabetic recipes, there are like a gazillion pages out there!!! So look for mare information, but always talk to your doctor first. 

Now I hope that some of you will join me on my journey and if not this is a great way for me to journal my recipes and things! 

Low Sugar Chex Mix


4 cups Gluten Free Corn Chex
4 cups Gluten free Rice Chex
2 cups mini pretzle twists(or any shape you want)
1 cup pecan pieces
1 cup mixed nuts
6 tablespoons butter (don't skimp, there is fat here, but taste is important)
2 tablespoons worchestshire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Mix first 5 ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl.  In a small microwave safe bowl melt butter.  When melted add next 4 ingredients and mix well.  Pour over cereal mixture and blend until well coated.  Microwave, uncovered, on high 6 minutes, stirring  well every 2 minutes.  Pour out onto paper towels to cool, about 10 mins.  Store in airtight container.   Makes 24 1/2 cup servings.

Nutrition Information:  Per 1/2 cup serving
121 calories, 9.5g fat, 7.6 mg cholesterol, 171.7 mg sodium, 64 mg potassium, 8.3 g carbs, 1.1 g fiber, 0.8g sugar, 2.1 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment